SC - hone substitute (OOP)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Dec 22 19:12:58 PST 1999

Huette wrote:
>I am now looking for a site that will allow
>me to order used or o.p. books and pay by check or
>deposit account.
>Does anyone know of one or two?  Unfortunately, I am
>"plastic-challenged" at this moment.

Most of the used, rare, and out-of-print search engines index stores,
and i have yet to see a single store that won't accept a check. Not
only that, but these are the exact same places that Amazon searches
to get that OOP book for you. And then Amazon, as any rational
business, marks the price up.

You will be able to get your OOP books for around 30 to 40 per cent
less if you order direct. (one way i know Amazon gets their books
from the same places is that i've had booksellers i've conversed with
on the phone tell me the book isn't available because Amazon got
their e-mail order in a few minutes ahead of mine) And i recently did
a price comparison to arrive at the per cent i mention...

Not all search engines function the same way, and they don't all list
the same books stores, so i recommend checking out more than one.

Here are a few:
http://www.abebooks.com
http://www.bibliofind.com
http://www.bookfinder.com (sort of a search engine of bookseller
databases, but try some of the others, too)

I've been ordering textile, costume, and needlecraft and cookery
books this way, and so far have had excellent results.

And remember, ordering direct from the bookseller saves you 30 to 40
per cent from what you'd pay at Amazon.

Anahita al-shazhiya