SC - Platina

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 22 19:34:01 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 22 Dec 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> The brand is SugarTree and the name is "Sugar Free Honey substitute.
> It is in a small, 15oz container. In the nutrition section it says:
> Sugars 0g but it also says Sugar Alcohol 17g. I have no idea why
> that is there and what it may mean. It does say "Food Exchange Value:
> Carbohydrates 0. It lists as ingredients: maltitol, sorbitol, mannitol,
> salt (*adds an insignificant amount of sodium), citric acid, water,
> natural and artificial flavors, caramel color.

I have never seen items sweetened with sugar alcohols which have *no*
carbohydrates.  Usually they have some, though fewer than sugar-
sweetened items.  A single serving of this "honey" may have just a few
grams of carbohydrate, few enough that it would count as a "free"
diabetic food exchange.  However, if the serving size is, say, a
teaspoon, and you pour a quarter cup over your carrots or whatever,
then the carbs and the calories would be significant enough that they
would need to be counted.

It should be noted that when eaten in quantity, sugar alcohols can
have... unfortunate digestive consequences.  (Ie., don't plan to be too far
from a privy.)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann