SC - information access / Hungarian cuisine

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Fri Dec 24 16:03:52 PST 1999

> Since we're already off topic, I'll mention one more caveat about check cards.  Read the terms of issue
> very carefully, especially the sections on recourse for fraud, theft, and merchant abuse.  Debit cards
> often do not offer the same protections provided credit cards, even the same bank's credit cards.

A federal law was passed a little while back requiring some consumer
protection.  It wasn't as great as the required protection for a regular
credit card, but after it was passed VISA and MasterCard (the two
issuers of the debit cards,) both announced that THEY would be offering
the same protection for their debit cards as they do for their credit
cards, above and beyond the protection they were now required to offer.
It doesn't matter what bank you go through.  VISA or MC will protect you
the same as if you had a credit card.

And my credit isn't the hottest, either, and I've had VISA debit cards
through 4 different banks, no questions asked.

Anyway, Merry Christmas, all!

Magdalena vander Brugghe