SC - Dressing/stuffing OOP

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Fri Dec 3 06:41:53 PST 1999

> >Any opinions (as if I need ask) about this?
<snips>
> I've heard it recommended to cook the turkey breast down.
<snips>
> At the same time, i've heard it
> recommended to "tent" the turkey with aluminum foil while it cooks to
> keep the moisture from evaporating and the legs and thighs from
> cooking too fast. When the turkey is not too far from done, you turn
> the breast up and remove the foil, cooking long enough for the skin
> to brown.
Well I've tried the inverse turkey method, and then I would turn it up
right to brown it, and then let it rest fo r10 minutes on top of the stove
(while I made the gravey) and the white meat was still kind of dry and
mealy.
I've never had a dry turkey that was "koshered" in brine, though, no
matter how I orient the bird. So that is how I cook it now.
>From memory, here is a description of my method (and I've never had a
complaint):

You need
1 large turkey
1 pot only just large enough to submerge the turkey
1 or 2 clean saucers
Gallon or so of VERY COLD water
2 1/2 cups kosher salt
1/4 lb butter (one stick)
1 tbs dried whole Sage, rubbed to fine powder
1/2 tsp crushed fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
Prepared Stuffing
1/2 lb thick sliced bacon (optional)

dissolve two cups of kosher salt into a gallon or so of water
Rinse turkey well cleaning pinfeathers (and removing gizzard
package form body cavity - Check neck cavity for other packages,
sometimes stuff is put there too!)
Take a half cup of salt and rub well into body and inside cavity
That the remaining salt and dissolve in a gallon of cold water
Put turkey in pot and cover with COLD salt water (you can add Ice
if warm kitchen!) put saucer(s) on top if needed to keep turkey
submerged.
cover pot, and put aside for 4-8 hours in a cool place
melt butter and whisk in remaining spices and herbs until it sets
up (Whisk in bowl set in ice water bath, if necessary)
remove bird, throw out brine, rinse with plenty of fresh water.
carefully loosen breast skin and put butter mixture under skin,
smoothing it out by rubbing additional butter over skin.
drape with Bacon slices, and stuff as desired
Tent with Foil and bake at 400 for 1 hour, then turn the oven
to 350 until almost done, basting occasionally with pan juices,
then remove foil tent, and let brown for 30 minutes.
remove from oven and let rest.

One option is to stuff with two whole lemons, a fresh rosemary sprig
and celery tops, and then, when you remove tent to brown, remove
that stuff, and then fill with HEATED prepared stuffing, browning all
for the presentation.

Brandu