SC - Re: .food riddle and query

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Fri Dec 10 00:38:53 PST 1999

Devra the Baker -- mka Devra Langsam wrote:
>When I recently took a course on food and the history of cookbooks from
>Andrew Smtih (History of Ketchup, etc) he said that prehistoric man had
>located or domesticated all but two of the food items currently used.  One
>item he cited as added to the food group in historic times was coffee.

Wild and unsubstantiated guess: chocolate

>Second question--one of my friends would like to locate a source of powdered
>malt, like the malt that the man at the corner candystore used to put into
>the milkshake to make it into a malted.  I haven't found any sources--King
>Arthur Flour sells diastolic malt, but that's not the same.  Do you think
>malt syrup would work?

Gee, i just buy it at the local supermarket (i'm in the US). I think
it's usually where they have Ovaltine and Swiss Miss.

"Nestle Carnation Malted Milk, original flavor" (there's also chocolate)

This is absolutely the stuff the old soda jerks used. Carnation was a
major supplier of soda fountains back in the *olde* days.

Good luck finding it.

My bottle, bought early this year,  produced at or distributed from
the Beverage Division, Inc., Glendale CA, says, "Please call
1-800-637-8538, Mon-Fri, 5 AM to 4:30PM Pacific Time"

The web site says, "Call 1-800-854-8935 Mon - Fri, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Eastern Standard Time" - i assume this is more current, but who knows?

Perhaps one of these numbers can tell you where to find it in your
(or your friend's) neighborhood.

I sometimes make a disgusting morning beverage of strong dark coffee,
molasses, malt powder and milk. Well, other people think it's
disgusting, but when i'm in the mood, it's good :-)

Anahita