SC - redacting

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Dec 10 20:40:42 PST 1999

Peldyn commented:
>  I guess this is why redacting a period recipe can be so
> difficult. So far I have only attempted recipes that other people have
> redacted. Maybe I will get to the point where I will be able to redact a
> recipe on my own.

Take heart, Peldyn. I'm only slightly ahead of you as I've just now become
somewhat comfortable in redacting some of the easier recipes. And I've been
on this list for most of it's time. The class that Ras taught at Pennsic
on redactions was useful. While we have redacted a few recipes here and
discussed some particular recipes, we haven't discussed redacting in general
much. There is a little bit in this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
redacting-msg     (10K)  4/19/99    Changing period recipes into modern format.

You might also try looking at some of the redactions in my files or in some
period cookbooks, try your redaction on paper only or in the kitchen, and
then check the author's redaction and see if you overlooked anything or if
you still disagree (and had only done the paper experiment) cook the dish
and see if you like it.

I have discovered that while I still can only redact the simpliest recipes,
I now really want that original recipe. I find myself often questioning
"Now just why is the author using THAT ingredient" or "I think that is too
much of X or not enough Y". Or disappointly often "Why did the author leave
THAT ingredient out". And I cam blame you folks here for my new sensitivity
to this. :-)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net