SC - Late Fall/Early Winter Vegetables

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Dec 17 21:55:32 PST 1999

Anahita al-shazhiya said:
> I'm just an SCA baby - i've only attended two feasts (not counting
> Shire potlucks) in 7 months, and now i'm going to be a Kitchen
> Steward, so I'm thinking in advance of the feast i have to Steward -
> a year from now. The feast is The Boar Hunt, so there are pork
> preparations served at several courses.

You might want to look at these files in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium:
ham-msg           (25K) 12/ 2/99    Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
pork-msg           (9K)  9/16/99    Use of pork in period. Pork recipes.
roast-pork-msg    (17K)  9/30/99    Cooking pork roasts. Medieval recipes.

It didn't sound like you would be cooking the pig whole, but you might
get some useful suggestions from here:
whole-pig-msg     (26K)  4/ 1/99    Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.

For another variation of pork at the feast or to make use of the leftovers
you might check some of the recipes in this file:
sausages-msg      (86K) 10/20/99    Period sausages. Making sausage.

And for roast pig, sauces were "the thing". You might check some of the
sauces in these files:
mustard-msg       (63K) 11/30/99    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
sauces-msg        (78K) 12/ 1/99    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.

There are also a number of different sauces in Pleyn Delit.

> Since my computer crashed in early October i lost any prior threads
> i'd found interesting, so i can't just look back into my saved
> messages stash, but i certainly will plunge into the Florilegium, and
> i have an ok selection of cookbooks (not extensive, but a good
> start), but neither the Florilegium nor my cookbooks can tell me if
> the recipes actually were gladly eaten by the majority of diners :-)

Well, the feast review files in the FEAST section of the Florilegium often
do mention how well a dish was liked by the populace. Some of these include
the actual recipes. You might also take a look at some of the other files
in the FEAST section. Many of these contain suggestions on what to do or not
do as a headcook. Others have good suggestions on organizing the serving
of the meal or decorating the hall and tables.

Also, don't be concerned about serving cultivated pig for your "Boar
Hunt feast". Apparently this was done quite often late in period when the
number of real, wild boars had declined so much that they were not easily
available in many regions but they were still impressed by images of the
wild boar.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net