SC - Hi

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Dec 18 20:17:54 PST 1999

Joachim Von Schwabia introduced himself and then mentioned:
> What I really would like to learn from all of
> you is how to research for Medieval recipes and where
> to find good books on the subject.

You might find some of the annotated bibliographies in the FOOD-BOOKS
section of my Florilegium to be of use. There are also several files
of messages about various period cookbooks, some reviews, some just
mentions that the cookbook might exist. Here are a few:
books-food-msg    (53K) 12/13/99    Books about food. Not cookbooks.
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (38K)  4/21/99    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
cb-rv-Platina-msg (19K)  5/11/99    Reviews of cookbooks having Platina recipes.
cb-rv-Taillvt-msg  (9K)  7/14/99    Reviews of books having Taillevent’s recipes
cookbooks-bib     (32K)  4/21/97    Cookbook bibliography by Jaelle of Armida.
cookbooks-msg     (98K)  5/11/99    Reviews of cookbooks with medieval recipes.
                                       Messages posted before September 1995.
Harpstrang-cb-msg (34K) 10/19/99    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The oldest
                                       cookbook in the Western world.
merch-cookbks-msg (10K)  8/31/99    Merchants selling period cookbooks.
p-Italy-food-bib   (9K) 12/ 1/99    Bibliographies on period Italian food.

You might also find some of the files in the other food sections such as
FEASTS, FOOD, FOOD-BREAD, FOOD-BY-CULTURES, and FOOD-VEGETABLES to be of
interest.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net