SC - information access / Hungarian cuisine

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Tue Dec 28 23:44:02 PST 1999

In a message dated 12/27/1999 8:35:32 PM Mountain Standard Time,
ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:

<< I am wondering now, if Marx [or Marxen] Rumpolt is theauthor's actual
name?  It doesn't sound Hungarian to me. In fact, to me it sounds very
Germanic.  Or could
 the author have been born in Hungary, but of German parents?   >>

This is very likely, since several groups of Germans have settled in Hungary.
 The first group, called the Saxons, arrived in the 12th and 13th centuries
and live mostly in Transylvania in what is today Romania.  The other group,
the Swabians, arrived in the 18th century, much after the time we are looking
at.

<< And, if he was actually Hungarian, were the Hungarians using then [as they
do now] the family name first and then the given name?  If so, then wouldn't
the author's name then be Rumpolt Marx, as we use names? >>

Yes, Hungarian name order was the same then as it is today with the family
name first and given name second.  This would only hold true however for an
ethnic Hungarian.  Since Rumpolt appears to be a German, his name would be in
the usual order for German names.

Noemi
who has gone through much of her SCA career being called by the wrong part of
her name. . .