SC - malt

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Dec 10 21:19:16 PST 1999

Bernadette Crumb said:
> My lady, if you are willing to take a day or so and have the
> space to do it, you can make your own powdered malt by sprouting
> wheat berries until the sprouts are about the same length as the
> berrie itself, spread them on a baking sheet and toast in a 250 F
> oven until golden brown and crisp (about ten minutes IIRC).  Let
> cool completely and pulverize in a food processor or grind in a
> mortar and pestle.  Viola!  Malt powder...

And later Adamantius commented:
> Spray-dried malt extract can be found at brewing supply shops. Malt
> syrup would work, but you'd probably have to adjust liquid quantities
> when cooking a recipe calling for powdered malt.

I first saved this info in my modern recipes section, but then I began
to wonder, Was malt known in period? Perhaps under a different name
such as sprouted, browned wheat? :-) I think I've seen mention of malt
in nursery rhymes but those aren't necessarily period. The only place
I can remember malt is in malted milk. Adamantius' comment makes me
wonder if it might have been used in late-period brewing but I have
no idea if it was.

What is the differance between "Spray-dried malt extract and powdered
malt? Is the extract more concentrated? They sure sound similar.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net