SC - cooking classes on period foods

Helen him at gte.net
Mon Feb 1 13:48:14 PST 1999

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> The first question that comes to my mind is pretty much the same one
> that I asked (implied?) earlier: what the blazes were you doing eating
> Mexican food of any kind in Salisbury Plain (yes, I know, it seems as if
> you may not have had a choice)? BTW, there are subsets of Tex-Mex where
> wheat flour tortillas are not inappropriate...or were these made with
> ordinary cornmeal?

I think a lot of people have a sort of gruesome fascination with wildly
out of place food opportunities. I always kind of wonder at the Midwest
and Eastern versions of "Mexican food". I was really curious about the
recipe Adamantius? used for Navajo fry bread.  On the positive side
though, new creative forms of things may appear from trying to create a
known thing without the required ingredients or with common local
ingredients instead. (Tempura green chili is big in New Mexico.) We will
always wonder, I suppose, just how close we come to medieval cooking when
differences of even just utensils are so common, and ingredients may vary
in flavor from place to place and continents to continent.

Mirhaxa
  mirhaxa at morktorn.com