SC - Re: SC-Tea

mermayde@juno.com mermayde at juno.com
Tue Feb 2 08:08:48 PST 1999

"Knott, Deanna" wrote:

> I opened
> up my copy of Jeff Smith cooks Italian and read his blurb on polenta.  He
> says Thomas Jefferson brought home polenta from a trip to Italy.  Is this
> where grits came from?  Italian polenta and good ol' TJ???  Kinda funny if
> you ask me.

Uh huh. The hole in Smith's idea is that grits are made from hominy,
dried white corn soaked in slaked lye, which removes the outer husk of,
and tenderizes, each kernel. I'm pretty sure this practice was learned
from Native Americans before TJ's lifetime. I'm not aware of any such
processing in Europe, except perhaps with cod ;  ).

But, as with most of Jeff Smith's stuff, it's an entertaining notion

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com