SC - Bread consumption

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 17:28:16 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/2/99 8:13:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, harper at idt.net
writes:

<< I used to be able to eat quite a
 substantial amount, before diabetes limited the size of my bread
 servings.

 Brighid >>

Agreed. Growing up in a house of 2 adults and 8 children my mother bajed all
our bread from scratch until 1971 when I graduated (I am the oldest). Her
weekly bread baking averaged 32 loaves. That is aproximately a half loaf per
person per day. And we had a wide variety of other foods to choose from also.
It is not too hard to belief that an advanced agrarian culture such as existed
in the MA would have easily consumed larger amounts per person considering
that bread was able to be eaten on fish and meat days both and it was used, as
Wolfmother, pointed out as a base for all the other food that may have been
available. We also have evidence that shows that times of major starvation
during the MA were specifically centered around the unavailability of grain.
Bread was not a 'sidedish' during the MA. It was a major part of the meal and
oftentimes the meal itself.

Ras