SC - Speaking of 2 pounds of bread

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Thu Feb 4 12:32:28 PST 1999

> Bonne of Traquair wrote:
> >
> > but hasn't anyone READ Beau Geste?  or am I thinking of some other
> > foreign legion story and this was never anything but a movie?
>
> No, "Beau Geste" was most certainly a book -- Christopher Wren wrote it,
> IIRC.

Percival Christopher Wren.  Christopher Wren was a 17th-18th Century
mathematician and architect.

Beau Geste was written in 1924 and is the first of a string of novels and
short stories set in and about the Legion Etrangier.

> It was made into a movie, though, at least four or five times prior to
> the release of "The Last Remake of Beau Geste". As I said previously, it
> seems to owe a fair amount to "The Four Feathers", too, which is about
> Englishmen in the _British_ military service in Africa, the Sudan, as I
> recall. They also jined up for unorthodox reasons, especially the main
> character.
>
> Adamantius

The officers in The Four Feathers were all very orthodox, except for the
hero who had this obsession about being named a coward.  Joining the Legion
is always unorthodox.  Any similarities between the books is likely due to
being part of the Golden Age of English adventure novels, which ran from
about 1880 to 1935.

The Four Feathers was written by A. E. Mason and published in 1902.

Bear