SC - OOP Pat's Daddy's Cornbread

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 5 18:40:51 PST 1999

Wraithe wrote:

> I'm very new to the SCA and even newer to this list, however, I caught a
> debate
> about why salt wasn't listed in recipes.  While I tend to agree with the
> "it was added to taste" theory, I can't help but think that there may have
> been another reason.
> If I'm not too far off, weren't the meats of that time cured in Salt in
> order to keep them fresh longer? And if so, cooking with already salted
> meat would negate the need to further salt a recipe, would it not?

Excellent point, and very true.

Some meats were salted for use out of season, and some weren't. Salt "to
taste" in the case of something like powdered beef would most likely be
none, I agree. On the other hand, if a recipe simply says "beef", either
could be used with appropriate treatment, up to a point.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com