SC - Estrella cook's party

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Feb 9 03:27:00 PST 1999

>>Even theat is not as radical a jump as you claim it to be. The
disapperance of
galingal, cubebs and grains of paradise was abrupt and there is little or
no
evidence that shows their use was gradually withdrawn over the span you
mention. <<

That is something I've been pondering, lately.  Why should the 17th C.
eliminate so much spicing, and some of the favorites up until that time?
Sure the Turks and Mongols were doing some erratic things to old trade
routes, but the Dutch East Indian Company and the Hanse and the English
were making more and more trips via ship into the very waters that
produced the spices.  There's information I'm missing, here.

It doesn't surprise me that more reliance was being put on a wider
variety of local produce, since agriculture, via Tusser and Gerard and
others, seems to be making some leaps and bounds in developing better and
better vegetables and fruits.  There are also the New World varieties
being imported, developed and used.  I expect cookery to expand, but why
the areas of contraction?

Our own changes won't be inexplicable, I don't think.  There are so many
writings on the change of diet for health reasons.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc