SC - Chocolate cake, crisco question, OT-OOP

KatarinSCA@aol.com KatarinSCA at aol.com
Sun Feb 14 07:41:16 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 13 Feb 99,, that david friedman wrote:

> >and for each two pounds of chopped carrots [use] a pound of
> >Trochon cheese and a pound and a half of buttery Pinto cheese,
> >and six ounces of fresh cheese...
>
> This looks interesting.

I'd be tempted to redact it myself, but my lord husband *loathes*
cooked carrots.

> I assume the fresh cheese would be similar to the
> fresh cheese you get in the Mexican section of the grocery; any guesses
> about Trochon or Pinto cheese?

> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

"Fresh cheese" (queso fresco) could also be translated as new
cheese, if that helps.  "Trochon" is actually Tronchon; there was a
typo, for which I apologize.  I found the following description at
www.cheese.com:

Tronchon

Traditional, creamery, semi-soft cheese made from blended cow's,
goat's and sheep's milk. It has a shape of flattened globe with deep
crater. The natural rind is smooth, glossy and it has a color of
butter. Tronchon resembles a young Caerphilly. The taste is
aromatic, with a background of white wine acidity. The
origin of the shape is obscure but it is replicated today with
moulds. The interior is bone white and has many small holes.

Country: Spain
Milk: cow ewe and goat milk
Texture: semi-soft

In a number of other recipes, the author suggests Parmesan as a
substitute for Tronchon.

I have not found any description of "queso de Pinto" anywhere on
the Web.  I do have access to a rather good import cheese shop
near my workplace.  Maybe I can get over there some time next
week and inquire.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)