SC - [fwd] [Mid] Vinegar info needed

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 19:18:18 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/16/99 8:47:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
maryann.olson at csun.edu writes:

<<  I am wondering what herbs and spices would have been used by different
 personas in a meat pie for instance, that would tell others that they were
 English, or German, or Italian, or whatever.  Being a German persona, I want
 to be able to make something that is truly "German."  However, if I were to
 choose to do "Italian," I would want to be true to that culture.

Are you talking peasant or nobleman here? If peasant there is little to no
information available simply because it was never written down but ,
logically, peasant cookery would be more regional and more distinctive.

Only a quick glance at period cookery manuscripts will reveal little
difference between noble cuisine in the different countries of Europe. This
was possibly because they were for the most part 'family'. Elizabeth's
reference to Mary, Queen of Scots as 'cousin' was not so far from the mark.
Mary also served briefly as Queen of France.

Another queen of France was from Italy., ad infinitum.

Regarding your observations about spices used to cover up tainted food. That
observation is a hold over from Victorian thinking where variety of spices
used in medieval cuisine was mistakenly thought to mean that a large quantity
was used. Any quick look at household accounts from the middle ages and a few
basic computations later , you will see that the amounts of spices used were
not much more than those used now in a household that doesn't depend on the
preprocessed cardboard garbage available  at supermarkets and fast food stands
everywhere..

Although the observation that hot climates use hot spices is valid, it
probably means little more than the fact that hot climates are where these
spices grow. Also using them in such conditions produces sweat which
evaporates and causes a cooling affect.

Ras