SC - cardboard box cookers

Stephen and Stephanie Dale sdale at mx00.us.hsanet.net
Fri Feb 19 15:46:27 PST 1999

snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>
>
> >I found this page on the web with their description of the plant:
> >http://www.shadow.net/~heruka/seeds.html
> >Piper Nigrum: "Black-pepper, Peppercorn-plant" P. Nigrum is the true source
> >of Black pepper, and not to be confused with Capiscum (hot) peppers. Piper
> >Nigrum is an extremely ornamental plant, perfect for the home and great in a
> >greenhouse. This species appears like a vine with heart shaped leaves and
> >produces a semi-epiphytic growth of roots from stem. Highly suggested...Very
> >prolific and a rarity. Plant $ 12
>
> So out of curiosity then, how do the peppers grow on the plant and how are
> they prepared for use?
>
> Elysant

The peppercorns are basically berries growing in a cluster from a
central stem, like a little bunch of grapes, or perhaps like a
blackberry. The berries are removed from the stem, and, as I recall,
allowed to ferment somewhat, blackening the fruit layer of the berries.
They are then dried.

At some point in this process the fruit pulp layer is removed from some
peppercorns, leaving only the pale seed, a.k.a. white peppercorns.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy