SC - Symbols in original English recipes

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 13:25:05 PST 1999

this is from a followup post, i donty have the book she refers to so i dont know
how it stacks up in the grand scheme of documentation

>What about trying Roman doughnuts? Also from Cato, they are called
'globi' in Latin - not quite so appealing, but they taste great. Make up
a dough from about 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup grated cheese (I use a fairly
mild cheddar, but do experiment). Again, use yeast, as it works better
if you do.

I tried the Globi from Ilaria Gozzini Giacosa's "A Taste of Ancient
Rome". From memory (I am not near my references at the moment) it was a
1 to 1 mix of flour (I used plain, not self-raising) to cheese (by
volume, I think) and I used ricotta (as suggested by her) and that was
all.  The moisture of the ricotta was enough to blend in the flour. The
translation from the latin that she gave said to use lard to deep fry
small balls of the stuff (I surmise, possibly inaccurately, that it is
from the same root word that our term 'globule' is derived) but I used
olive oil as I had it handy - does everybody else get thru as much of it
as I do?
They were well received by the taste crew but I think that they need to
be served fairly quickly after cooking.  The few left over were hard and
unappetising 2 days later after being fridged.