SC - Henry Peacham

Christina VAN TETS ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Sat Feb 6 08:33:10 PST 1999

Hello!
Ras, I think perhaps you misunderstood the use of the Henry Peacham
extracts.  Although they were published in the 1620s and 30s, he
wrote them originally for his charges (he was a tutor).  Now if I
had written something for an individual, I think I'd wait a decent
interval before publishing it for all and sundry, purely as
politeness.  Judging by the rest of his writing, I think he'd
probably feel much the same way.  In addition, he was writing when
fairly old (oh, 37?) about what the continent was like in his youth.
Since his youth he had worked as tutor, and so his charges would have
known the continent too and this stuff would have been unnecessary.
To my mind, then, he was writing of things fairly close to our cut
off date, and could presumably be used (if no earlier, better
description exists) of an Englishman's impressions of French habits
in late period.  Sure it doesn't give you mediaeval, but the the SCA
isn't just 'mediaeval'.

Cairistiona