SC - trencher history guesses

mermayde at juno.com mermayde at juno.com
Tue Feb 2 09:54:43 PST 1999

>On another note:  Does anyone know, off the top of their heads, where
>I can
>easily find a calendar of when the fast days were for the medieval
>Catholic
>Church?
>
>Walk in peace,
>Wolfmom

My Lady,
	I have written a book called "366 Days of Celebrations, or,  A Year Full
of Reasons to Throw a Party".  It covers the full year's worth of
celebrated days.  I have included many Saints' days, but only those who
have patronages or specific celebrations attached to them.   There are
literally thousands of Saints, and many of them were created during the
first 200 years of Christianity.  There is even a day to celebrate the
Feast of Our Lady, Queen of Martyrs - Commemorates 11 million martyrs to
the Christian faith between the years 36 and 306, on May 13th.
>From my bibiliography, I can suggest a few sources.  They are:

The Oxford Dictionary of Saints by David Hugh Farmer, Oxford University
Press, 1978, reprint 1983 with corrections

Saints Preserve Us! - by Sean Kelly and Rosemary Rogers Copyright 1993
Random House

Saints to Remember from January to December - by The Slaves of the
Immaculate Heart of Mary, Still River, Mass., 1963

Civic and Historical Celebrations and Parades Worldwide  - by Digital
Datebook, [Digital Datebook online] available from:
http://www.digitaldiscounts.com/civic.html ; Internet; accessed 4/98

Also, the book "Fast and Feast, Food in Medieval Society" by Bridget Ann
Henisch addresses this topic, although not in a calendar format.  I would
also suggest perhaps searching on-line for the Catholic Encyclopedia,
which might yield a listing of fast days.
Good Luck,
Mistress Christianna MacGrain