SC - Chocolate cake, crisco question, OT-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Feb 14 08:20:58 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/14/99 10:42:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
KatarinSCA at aol.com writes:

<< Are you certain?  I was under the impression that margarine is even higher
in
 water content than butter.  Wouldn't this make the moisture situation worse?

 Respectfully,

 Katarin >>

Am I certain? Not really. OTH, I have always substituted stick margarine for
vegetable shortening in recipes and have never had a problem yet. There  might
be a significant change if tubbed margarine is used though.The cake recipe
that was posted sounds like a moist one so if the things you mention are true,
I can't forsee that margarine would not work. Bear might be able to give us
the lowdown since, IIRC, he is the resident baker. :-)

BTW, the formulas for vegetable shortening and stick margerine are not too
dissimilar.

Ras