SC - SC German Herbs, Spices, and Ingredients (long)

Maryann Olson maryann.olson at csun.edu
Fri Feb 19 16:51:02 PST 1999

Greetings unto thee, Valoise Adalhaid von Metz.  'Tis with a grateful heart
that I say thank you for your kindness, and 'tis happy I am to be able to
identify the translator of Sabrina Welserin.  Do you know which area of
Germany she came from?  Since German cooking has regional differences today,
I suspect it had them in period also.  I am wondering if that is part of the
explanation why certain spices are not mentioned in all the cookbooks.

I had been seeking period recipes for lebkuchen, and Sabrina Welserin has
two -- one with and one without ginger.  Now, all I need is free time to try
my hand at both -- though probably not until summer.  Work and school keep
me very busy.

I have printed a copy of the chart of spices and will be working with it
whenever I work with a recipe that advises one to use spices without saying
which.  It is clear to me now, though, that not all spices were used in all
years of period.  They came and went -- or simply were not mentioned by the
writers of the cookbooks.

Thank you, again.

Gertraud