SC - Frumenty using barley?

Fri Feb 26 08:45:18 PST 1999

> Thanks Bear... I agree completely with your idea about why-wheat, but I
> can see from your answer that my last line was sloppy.  I didn't mean
> "any reference for barley," but rather, " a period reference for barley
> in a 15thC grain- almond milk- sugar & saffron & egg yolks type
> frumenty", as goes with venison or "porpayss"
>
> Any luck now?
>
> Thanks again,
> Chimene

If you come across one, I want it.  Barley was poverty food, just above
oats.  In hard times, it may have substituted for wheat on a nobles table,
but I don't think they wrote about it.

Cato probably wrote about it, because he was the staunch defender of the
simple Republican virtues in a nation that was well on it's way to Empire
and Apicius.

Bear