SC - African recipes

Christina van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Sun Feb 28 07:32:27 PST 1999

Why ask me for African recipes when there are locals on the list who
can send you their mothers' favourite versions?  BTW, Ian found some
stuff a while back (I think he wrote and told you about it) which
included the culinary experiences of a 15th C Portuguese visitor to
Ethiopia.  I'll ask him if he knows where it is, but in the shambles
we are currently experiencing, I can't vouch for it...

Sounds as though you treat grits pretty much like polenta anyway (and
the way I've been treating mealie-meal out here).  Do you ever toast
the leftovers (as opposed to frying them)?  Pouring honey over
the fried stuff works well too, a l'Apicius.

Cairistiona