SC - A&S Issue

Erik Langhans modius at cityscope.net
Sat Jan 2 16:22:24 PST 1999

Okay.  This is a lovely, mild bread, but not just another boring white loaf.

                  Oatmeal Bread with Cooked Oatmeal,
      from On Bread, by James Beard. Alfred A Knopf, 1973, copyright 1973
James A Beard

[The original recipe is for 2 small loaves.  I 'm giving the quadruple version
I usually make, because otherwise it's all eaten up in one day.  It freezes
nicely.  Actually, I've made a few small changes, but it's his recipe,
really.]

            Ingredients
4 C (1 quart) coarse rolled oats
4 C (1 qt) boiling water

8 pkgs (8T, scant) dry yeast
4 tsp granulated sugar
1/8--1/4 tsp ground dry ginger
1 C warm water (to proof the yeast)

1 Qt warm milk {either regular or 1/2-1C dry milk, then fill up qt measure
with  regular}
4 Tblsp salt (I usually use coarse)
1 C dark brown sugar, packed
16-20 C (4-5 Qt) white flour

1) Cook the oats in the boiling water until thickened, about 3 minutes.  Pour
into a very large mixing bowl and cool to lukewarm.

2) Stir yeast, ginger, and sugar into warm water.  Let it sit a few minutes to
proof.

3) Add warm milk, salt, brown sugar, and yeast mixture to the lukewarm oats.

4) Stir well, then stir in 14-16 C flour, (3-1/2 --4Qt), in medium-sized
dollops.  (Original says to add 1 C at a time, but we're talking larger here.)

5) Turn out onto floured board and knead into a smooth, pliable, elastic
dough.  If necessary add up to 4 C more flour.

6) Kneading will take 10-20 minutes.  Final dough will have a wonderful feel.

7) Shape into ball, put into well-buttered bowl, and turn to coat on all
sides.  Cover with damp towel and let rise in warm, draft-free place until
doubled, about 1-11/2 hrs.

8) Punch dough down and knead for 2-3 minutes.

9) Shape dough into 4-5 large loaves. Place in buttered loaf pans, cover, and
let rise again until about even with top of tins, or almost doubled.

10) Preheat oen to 375^ F, place tins in the center of the lowest rack, and
bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, until loaves sound hollow when rapped on the
bottom.

11) Return the loaves, without the tins, to the oven rack to bake for about 5
more minutes, then remove to racks to cool.

Beard says that you can coat the crust with butter at this point for a soft
crust, but I think the crunchy crust is much nicer.

NB: When you are shaping the loaves (flatten to an oval, then roll up firmly)
you can sprinkle them with chopped nuts, and/or cinnamon and sugar mix.

Devra the Baker