SC - Cranberry Fudge

Margo Hablutzel Margo.Hablutzel.margolh at nt.com
Tue Jan 5 09:14:24 PST 1999

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> To Apicius and Pliny, polenta was cooked cereal meal (the recipes are for
> wheat and barley respectively).  Modern polenta is cooked cornmeal (what my
> Ohio family calls cornmeal mush, cooked and served in an Apician manner).
>
> Perhaps Platina's polenta is his modern redaction of the Apician recipe.
>
> Bear

Platina seems to use "polenta" to describe barley meal, and/or any
preparation thereof, just as 20th century Americans tend to call oatmeal
porridge "oatmeal".

The recipe with the eggs, cheese, and sugar (as well as polenta _or_
softened bread crumbs) referred to previously is one preparation of
polenta, and it may help to know Platina calls the dish Polenta  Sive ut
Vulgo Miliaceum, or, in English, "Polenta, or, as it is more commonly
called, Miliaceum".

Yes, I can see how this would resemble a cheesecake when cooked and then
cooled. It seems to be eaten warm with a spoon, though, almost like
cheesecake filling cooked in a pot and served warm in a bowl. I can
think of worse things to eat... .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy