SC - Re: Can Someone Explain This?

Gedney, Jeffrey gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Tue Jan 5 11:07:30 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

I have a question or two - to start with, where did period cooks get their
salt from?  Did they use sea salt? Or was it manufactured somewhere?

Sea salt tastes different from regular salt - so I wonder if period recipes
we make now tasted a bit different then because of various dirrerent sources
etc. for ingredients?  I read on one of the lists a few weeks ago that
somewhere (?long Island) they had tried to make dishes using medieval spicing
and it was extremely spicy - too much so for modern tastebuds.  On the other
hand, most of my old Welsh recipes tend to be on the bland side.

Anybody?

Elysant