SC - Period Chili

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 12:56:55 PST 1999

Creme fraiche.

The middle "e" in creme has an accent over it and I think
there's a circumflex somewhere in "fraiche", but I'm not
sure.

it's undoubtedly on the web somewhere.

Creme fraiche is found in, not surprisingly, quite a few
French recipes in modern times.

I found a salad dressing recipe that is simply delicious
dressing washed whole button or quartered mushrooms:

Creme Fraiche Dressing

1 pint creme fraiche
1 tbsp. wine vinegar
2 tbsp. snipped fresh chives.

Combine in a large glass jar and shake till blended.

Also good on baked potatoes.

Berengaria

> Good milord, what is this creme fresche that you speak of?  Would you
share
> the recipe, please?
>
> Thank you,
> Karla

I'm sure I misspelled it. Creme Freche? Master A?

Anyway it is basically a soured thickend cream frequently used at teatime.
It is like a sour cream but richer and less sour.

There are many uses for it, it's main claim is to be spread with jam on
scones. The combination of sweet, rich and slightly sour is wonderful.

Some other uses are as topping with baked potatoes, sauce for sauteed
onions (similar to the chicken dish I mentioned), or anywhere a sour cream
would be used.

This is the recipe I use and it is easy and wonderful. In fact I'm loathe
to reveal it because people will not consider me a genius and a hard worker
when they realize how lazy I am.

Creme Freshe (or however you want to spell it)

Take equal parts of sour cream and heavy cream and place in a sealed
non-metal
container. I use a flip-seal glass canister. Mix together. Seal and shake so

everything is properly mixed and then leave at room temperature overnight on
the counter. The next morning mix some more and place in the fridge. Simple
and wonderful.

Any thoughts on this being period? I would think something similar would be.
Also, is this also known as Clotted or Devonshire cream? Just wondering.

Yers,

Gunthar