SC - New pet peeve

melc2newton@juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Sun Jan 17 14:52:37 PST 1999

Greetings, the list!

Could someone please tell me what sumac or sumach is?  My dictionary is
unhelpful and none of my cookbooks mention it.  We made Maqluba,  the lamb
patties from Cariadoc's Miscellany for our event this weekend, and had to
leave out the sumac in sheer ignorance.  The recipe requires you to boil the
sumac and then cook the lamb in the sumac water - what would this do?  Is it
a thickening or binding agent, or is it just for flavour? (Groovy recipe,
even without the sumac...)

yours in culinary curiosity,
Melisant

Melisant de Huguenin  *  Jessica Tiffin * melisant at iafrica.com
Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Drachenwald (Cape Town, South Africa)
Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.