SC - Re: The Meadery

Helen him at gte.net
Mon Jan 18 14:03:45 PST 1999

Shari Burnham wrote:

> So is it a secret sauce or can you post the recipe for us?  I don't dig ketchup
> out of a bottle and would like to see what y'all throw in yours, and what it's
> spiced with.

Many, many basic cookbooks have recipes for ketchup; Ras and I may have
made some invalid assumptions about access. The problem isn't that the
lore has been lost or anything, it's just that very few people bother to
make ketchup nowadays.

In any case, here's one fairly typical non-industrial ketchup recipe,
from The Settlement Cookbook, 1902. So, while it isn't my grandma's
recipe, it's probably pretty close to what she would have made... text
in brackets are my comments:

TOMATO CATSUP.

1/2 bushel ripe tomatoes, [note: a bushel contains eight gallons volume
measure, IIRC]
1 quart vinegar,
1/2 cup salt,
5 tablespoons mustard, [probably whole seeds]
1 tablespoon cinnamon,
1 cup sugar,
2 teaspoons red pepper,
1 tablespoon allspice,
1 tablespoon cloves,
1 medium-sized onion.

	Put tomatoes, wiped and quartered, on stove to boil, without water.
When soft, strain through a coarse and then a fine sieve. Let stand over
night, pour off the watery top and boil gently for two hours, with the
onion, or small piece of garlic. Put in the rest of the spices, tied in
a bag, and salt. Let come to a boil, and then add vinegar. Bottle and seal.

[I note that the sugar isn't mentioned specifically, so I assume it is
either added with the bagged spices and salt, or boiled with the drained
tomato puree.]

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --