SC - Period Sausages

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 19 06:30:09 PST 1999

In a message dated 1/19/99 7:51:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
KatarinSCA at aol.com writes:

<<  Before the concept of Vitamin C I presume?

 Katarin >>

Actually, the probable cause of the bad rep that tomatos carried up until the
beginning of this century when they were still viewed as a major cause of
cancer, is the fact that all parts of the plant except the fruit are
poisonous.

Although I have no proof of it, I would suggest that the lush green growth of
young well tended tomatos was originally seen as a potential pot herb. Anyone
using it as such would have become seriously ill or dead. I don't think it
would have taken too much thought to put two and two together.

Curiously, there may have been something to the general rejection of New World
solenaceous crops. In holistic medicine, it is known that the symptoms of
arthritis are aggravated by consuming tomatos, potaotos and peppers. Arthritic
patients who avoid these foods often times find there symptons drastically
reduced or even eliminated. Another good reason to avoid there use in late
period cooking. :-)

So far as the concept of vitamin C is concerned, although they may not have
had a handle on the chemistry envolved, it was common knowledtge among period
sea captains that cabbage, sauerkraut and citrus fruits alleviated the
symptoms of rickets and other deficiency diseases. Ships destined for long
voyages were often constructed with a special storage area for sauerkraut and
cabbage with the intent of avoiding disease.

Ras