SC - First Feast--Festival of Maidens

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Jan 24 15:15:23 PST 1999

Hi Folks -

As I posted earlier in the week, I am working on a Carnival/Mardi
Gras/Fat Tuesday feast for Feb 13th.  I'm using Platina as a sole
source, having finally gotten a copy for myself, and am working out most
of my own recipes.

Reading this over, however, led me to a few questions - and answers,
suggestions, guidance, etc would be great!

1) Most of the time, people use Cheddar for Armored Turnips.  Has anyone
tried any other cheeses?  If so, which one's and how did it come out?

2) Has anyone tried substituting a really good balsamic vinegar for
verjuice?  Thoughts on how that might come out?  Specific reasons that's
a bad idea?  (I know, that one isn't specifically related, but I was
reading a recipe and thought that would be a yummy substitution....)

3) Fritters - Platina has an ENTIRE chapter on the damned things.  Has
anyone done them successfully for a feast of 100 or more?  If so, how
did you do it?  How did you keep them both crispy and hot when doing so
many?  Thoughts?

That's all for the moment - I'm narrowing in on a menu (I have too many
dishes right now, so it's mostly a matter of seeing what sounds good
with what and then saving the rest for test-cooking failures!).  If more
come up, you'll be hearing from me!

Caitlen Ruadh