SC - First Feast--Festival of Maidens

melc2newton@juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Mon Jan 25 06:36:00 PST 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Rebecca E Tants <retants at hotmail.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Sunday, January 24, 1999 4:17 PM
Subject: SC - Platina - questions

>>Reading this over, however, led me to a few questions - and answers,
>suggestions, guidance, etc would be great!
>
>1) Most of the time, people use Cheddar for Armored Turnips.  Has anyone
>tried any other cheeses?  If so, which one's and how did it come out?

parmeasan and mozzarella.   for feast we usually did a mix of parmeasan,
cheddar and mozzarella. you might try just parmasean (it is expensive, but
Sam's Club does have fresh grated that is decent... tho not reggio)

>2) Has anyone tried substituting a really good balsamic vinegar for
>verjuice?  Thoughts on how that might come out?  Specific reasons that's
>a bad idea?  (I know, that one isn't specifically related, but I was
>reading a recipe and thought that would be a yummy substitution....)

love balsamic vinegar but it wouldn't taste the same. verjuice is a light,
sour taste, balsamic is much more complex... tho i am sure it would be yumm.

good luck!

meadhbh