SC - split peas

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 20:53:45 PST 1999

Hi all from Anne-Marie

we are asked:
What husk?  I thought one shelled peas.  Also, if they are dried (aren't split
>> peas also dried?)  Wouldn't they cook up the same as split peas?
>> Also, abput split peas.  What is the point of spliting them? And how is it
>> they are Victorian?  What did they use them for or how/why were they
invented?

I have used both the modern split pea and the unhulled whole dry peas. In a
side by side batch of pea soup (a la Martha Washington), they both cooked
down. The unhulled peas let loose their thin white skins, which are skinned
off, as per the instructions in the primary source. The resulting glop is
indistinguishable from the regular ol' split pea glop, in color, texture
and taste.

By splitting them, you dont have to hull them or skim off the skins (which
look rather like little eyeballs. ugh!), and they may cook slightly quicker...
- --AM