SC - Breakfast

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Jan 26 13:41:57 PST 1999

Sorry for shouting, earlier, but this does push a button!  I've sat
through 17 years of feasts, some well-lit, some very dark.  One reason
the room will appear to be dark is that the candles which are brought are
only used on the diners' tables, at their places.  At an event I
autocratted, I put the fat, stand-alone candles all around the sides of
the room and down the serving/ dessert buffet tables.  It made a
tremendous difference in the sense of light, since it eliminated that
dark area surrounding the immediate feast.  We've talked about so many
cost-saving ideas on this list, we should surely be able to fit a few
candles into the budget.  Don't you want people to SEE your beautiful
goodies?

One problem with the fat candles is that the entire surface does not
burn.  The heat of the wick doesn't reach that far.  You get lots of
light, gradually diminishing, until it burns itself a hole in the candle
center, light hidden by the 'walls', and eventually drowns itself in
melted wax.  Paring down a front portion of the candles that will stand
by a wall can help, and cutting a channel for the melted wax, provided
you have a heat-proof, liquid-proof holder.  Saucers are fine.  The cut
away wax can be melted down and made into new candles, or molded while
warm into something interesting.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA