SC - bread adjustments for higher altitudes

Tue Jan 26 14:00:34 PST 1999

The real question that I have, is what kind of peas to use.
Scully in both the French cookery and Art of.. books talks about
medieval peas being _white_, but he never (that I could find)
tells you what to use as a modern substitute or equivalent.
Black-eyed peas behave properly (bursting and puree-ing just fine),
but tend to come out more of a grey sludge color.  Anyone
have any suggestions or experience.

	----wade/Gille
	(who has been lurking for too long)

At 03:41 PM 1/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
<snip - pea broth>

>Taillevent's exact phrase is "puree de poys", which he uses seven or
>eight times in Le Viandier, which is why this issue is so confusing. I
>believe Chiquart does use the same expression, but whether an English
>translation calls it "pea broth" I don't know. Most translators, AFAIK,
>skirt the issue as to what this substance _is_ and simply translate it
>as pea puree. From the context it's pretty clearly a liquid, and it is
>tempting to assume it is the water peas are boiled in, with or without
>the peas strained into it for additional thickening power.
>
>I seem to recall Chiquart giving a recipe for pea puree, though...I'll
>have to go back and check on this.
>
>The question of what pea puree really is, is one of those insoluble
>medieval cookery questions, which is why, when most people on the cooks'
>list bring up cuskynoles as a sort of thread-ender, you'll find that
>Cariadoc asks what pea puree is, the peas or the juice.
>
>Adamantius
>Østgardr, East
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy
>
>troy at asan.com

	Wade Hutchison
	whutchis at bucknell.edu
	Gille MacDhnouill
	Mountain Confederation/Abhainn Ciach Ghlais
	AEthelmearc