SC - OOP chocolate zero cake

geneviamoas@juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Wed Jan 27 17:04:22 PST 1999

Hullo, the list!

While in the midst of a mad city-wide search today for a new tortilla
press (something to do with having to make 600 pieces of Navajo
fry-bread for a bunch of Cub Scouts), I found myself in front of a
Chinese restaurant run by Malaysians of Chinese descent, with a menu
reflecting this, consisting of Chinese, Malay, Singapore and Indonesian dishes.

As I'm ever a man of action where such things are concerned, mere
minutes passed before I was inside sampling fried rice noodles with
coconut beef rendang (sort of a dry, rich curry). In any case, it seemed
as if a little chili paste would be a good idea right at that point, so
I tried some of the red stuff in the little pot on the table. Like many
such sauces, it was red, somewhat thick, had a bit of oil floating on
the top, and proved, on inspection, to contain tomatoes, diced onion,
garlic, and one of those shrimp pastes common in Southeast Asia, as well
as a great variety of aromatic spices. It was intensely flavorful. The
trouble was, this chili paste wasn't especially hot.

I asked a passing waitress about it, and she explained that they didn't
serve chili paste on the tables, but she'd be glad to go and get some
fresh chopped green chilies from the kitchen if I wished...I asked her,
if this stuff wasn't chili paste, what it was.

She looked at me as if I were very ignorant indeed. "Ketchup," she said,
and walked away.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --