SC - serrated knive blades

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jan 27 21:24:55 PST 1999

Nick Sasso wrote:

> You will find good Apicius brought us this dish in its
>  original form.  There are conjectures as to whether
>  it should be sliced or pulled (as in s outhern BBQ), though not to
> the height of the Cusk*******les
> debate.
>
> It is entered in my Giacossa translation as 'roasted
> meat'.

I guess this is a matter of interpretation. I understood this roast, as
eaten in the SCA, is essentially covered with a salt crust. Apicius says:

"Assaturum simplicem: assam a furno salis plurimo conspersam cume mele inferes."

I'd translate this more or less as Flower & Rosenbaum do, to read (more
or less): "Plain roast: roast in the oven with plenty of salt sprinkled
on, serve with honey."

I guess this is not an impossible interpretation...as I said, I guess it
all depends on how you look at it. I wouldn't have seen this in the same
way, or frankly even have recognized it as the same dish, but what the
hey... .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy