SC - Cookery-Art or Science

Thu Jan 28 09:19:05 PST 1999

Bear wrote:
> After careful consideration, I must say that baking can not be a Science.
> To be a Science, the results must be reproducible and any baker will tell
> you they can't guarantee what is going to come out of the oven.  In most
> instances, the end product will be within usable tolerances, but there is
> always the occasional catastrophe.

Tell me about it!  One night I was cooking a pound cake, and followed
the recipe religiously (it was my first time with this recipe).  When
the time was up, I pulled it from the oven to discover that the top /
outside were almost burnt (but edible) and the inside was completely
uncooked.  We were in the midst of a chopping party for an upcoming
event, and several people proclaimed that it was "the best
pound-pudding they had ever had" and would cheerfully chop veggies
for such offerings.

*sigh*  I don't know if I could do it again if I wanted to.

One of my friends decided to try the recipe at home, but didn't want
it to burn so she put it in the oven at 200.  She forgot it and went
out shopping, coming home hours later to a perfect pound cake!  Ack!

Claricia Nyetgale
  still learning her craft