SC - Cookery-Art or Science

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 28 09:50:30 PST 1999

> Are we all talking about the same stuff here? All the filo dough I've ever
> used, usually for Middle Eastern cooking, comes as a thin sheet of plain
> dough-if you boiled it, it would be a noodle. No butter. Usually you add
> the butter and layer it manually while assembling a dish. What y'all are
> describing sounds more like puff pastry?
>
> Mirhaxa
>   mirhaxa at morktorn.com

Filo dough is made from water, flour and salt and a lot of practice.  It is
cut into sheets which are commonly buttered and layered together to form a
pastry shell or wrap.

Strudel dough is made from water, flour, salt and a small amount of melted
butter.  Most of the butter is added during the rolling to keep the dough
elastic and damp.  Once rolled out it is trimmed, cut and folded around a
filling to produce a layered effect.

Puff pastry is made from water flour and salt.  The dough is chilled and
rolled out into a square.  Cold butter are pounded to the consistency of the
dough.  The butter is formed into a square about 3/4 inch thick and centered
on the rolled out dough.  The corners are folded in, the dough is rolled
into an elongated rectangle.  A third of the length is folded over each
other and then rolled back out into the rectangle.  The dough is worked and
chilled until the desired number of laminations has been created.  The
butter must stay solid during the process.  The dough is then wrapped around
a filling.

One of the confusing points is that commercially, puff pastry is oftend used
to make strudels, rather than using tradional strudel dough.

Bear