SC - Cookery-Art or Science

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 28 10:09:47 PST 1999

> Tell me about it!  One night I was cooking a pound cake, and followed
> the recipe religiously (it was my first time with this recipe).  When
> the time was up, I pulled it from the oven to discover that the top /
> outside were almost burnt (but edible) and the inside was completely
> uncooked.  We were in the midst of a chopping party for an upcoming
> event, and several people proclaimed that it was "the best
> pound-pudding they had ever had" and would cheerfully chop veggies
> for such offerings.
>
> *sigh*  I don't know if I could do it again if I wanted to.
> Claricia Nyetgale

That sounds suspiciously like an electric oven with a uneven heating coil
creating hot and cold spots in the oven cavity.  The rack was probably close
to the bottom, overheating the tin but not producing a high enough internal
temperature to cook the batter properly.  It's a real trick to reproduce the
effect.

Bear