SC - Byzantine Sources

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jan 28 11:20:51 PST 1999

The recipe posted for Roedd Groedd?  It sounds pretty much like a good
British fool recipe, of which I have several.  And whipping cream is usually
in half-pint containers, like school milk containers, in the same area as
the buttermilk and specialty creamers.  Locally, ours are a golden colour;
the local dairy colour-codes its products.  (Whole milk is red, skim is
royal blue, so the whipping cream is gold.  The cartons, I mean!)

My mother's recipe for strudel dough contains no yeast, just flour and fat
and I think some sugar.  She rolled it thin, thin, THIN and spread with
filling, then rolled it up and baked; it ended up with a zillion layers of
flaky pastry with filling between.  Yummy!

In my investigations, I think there are about as many recipes for strudel
dough as cooks, and some regional variations.  Although I've usually seen
the yeast doughs used for other, similar baked goods and not in a strudel.

Aoife's posting reminded me (and thanks to Kateryn for pointing out why such
things don't work for the Calontir Soup Kitchen, which was designed to keep
an Army from falling down after battle - emergency nutrients for 100!) - did
someone want to talk about what meals would work for cooking under camping
conditions?  I remember the person saying that Middle Eastern seemed the
most likely, but I have done Romanian/Russian and others as well.

- ---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!