SC - Byzantine Sources

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Thu Jan 28 16:47:24 PST 1999

Christianna, then Bear write:
>> 	Baking (and all 'Pastry Sciences', to borrow a phrase from
>Homer Simpson) is a Science.
>> 	Mistress Christianna
>>
>After careful consideration, I must say that baking can not be a
>Science.
>To be a Science, the results must be reproducible and any baker will
>tell you they can't guarantee what is going to come out of the oven.
>In most instances, the end product will be within usable tolerances,
>but there is always the occasional catastrophe.

Hey, I've seen some catasrophes come out of science labs, too!

>Understanding the processes of baking is Science.  Producing quality
>bake goods is Art.  Baking, the combination of the two, is obviously a
>craft.
	Yes, I will agree with the craft statement.  Both Cooking and
Baking are combinations of art, science, and skill, (innate talent,
hunger, availability of ingredients, etc, etc,etc).  Still, Baking is a
more Scientific craft, if you will.  ;)

>I believe the reason you see baking as a Science is the use of precise
>measurement.  You do not need precise measurement to produce  >most bake
goods.  If you can tell the readiness of the dough by feel >and by sight,
you can bake without measurement.  In fact an artisan >baker needs to be
able to feel the dough to correct for differences in >volumes of liquid,
dryness of flour and humidity.  The best baking is >not done in the
controlled environment of a factory bakery.

	Hmm.  Seems to be splitting hairs to say that someone trained can
tell the difference by feel and sight, unless you are saying that can be
learned without measurements.  (Not to mention the addition of learning
heat measurement requirements, such as baking the hot/fast foods first
and the longer cooking at lower temperature foods later on in the
process).  Again, this is also important in Cooking, but more crucial in
Baking IMO.

>The need for measurement is historic and economic.  <snip>
>Precise measurement is the best method to insure economic survival.
>
>Bear

So shall we ask Cariadoc whether economics are an art or a science? ;)

Christianna