SC - Byzantine Sources

Jennifer D. Miller jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 29 09:10:18 PST 1999

		Actually, we have a plethora of decent to excellent knives
around [including one
		set of horrendous k-mart serrated set of everything plus 6
steak knives that we
		got as a wedding present that gets used out in the garage
for sawing tubing and

Much to my amazement, my main Xmas present from my twin this year was a very
nice set of old (aprx 1920s-'30s) horn-handled dinner knives. I've got her
trained now as to what I can take to feasts! (I won't traumatise you with
stories of what she considers 'essential kitchen equipment')

		friends [but no shadowmakers...:-( ] We both cook and like
good equipment, and
		make an effort to acquire it. Don't worry, you too can
acquire goodies too, jsut
		save the schekels and get them one at a time like we did.
		margali

On the subject of best bets in kitchen weaponry, not being able to shell out
the type of money necessary for what I would consider a decent knife, (and
saving is what you do for books...) all my knives have been bought
second-hand, sometimes for ludicrous prices, at antique shops or outdoor
markets (usually when I visit Rotterdam - Holland is great for those if you
ever go there).
On the con side, because they're steel I have to be careful to dry them
immediately and they require sharpening slightly more often. I have to admit
missing stainless steel for those endearing qualities. On the pro side
however, I get pleasure from owning something with a history, and I like the
horn, bone or wood handles as opposed to plastic. I also don't like
wood-handled blades with tangs, and the ones I have are sandwich handles.
And lastly, I didn't have to shell out excessive Guilder or Pounds for them!

Last year I acquired a 1930's L'Enfer (a French company later taken over by
Sabatier IIRC) hand-forged vegetable knife, which had never been used. It's
brilliant and by far my favourite knife, I just wish I'd thought to buy more
than one.
(From Gaukler Medieval Wares online (plug) - no association, just a very
happy customer :-)
Some of the knives (and forks) I've bought I've had to de-rust and/or
re-hydrate the horn, but I think it's a good way to find utensils. And if
you like shopping, (as I do) it's great fun poking around for bargains in
the cutlery boxes :-)

Al Vostro e al Servizio del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com <mailto://thorngrove@geocities.com>  |
http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove <http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove>

"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536