SC - chicken oysters?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jan 31 21:15:16 PST 1999

> Christianna posted a message and recipe on Roman Roast last Wednesday,
>
> I decided to try this for dinner today. I used a little over 3 pounds of
> chuck roast but mostly measured the other ingredients by eye. I cooked
> it at 350 degrees for about three hours.
>

> I doubt it is in anyway period as cooked but it is delicous. I would
> suspect that meat would be cut into thin strips before salting rather
> than salting a whole roast, although maybe a roast could be put into
> brine? I don't think a roman legion on the move would have baked it.
>
> --
> Lord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

Roasted Meat (Apicius 268)

Assaturam:  Assam a furno simplicem salis plurimo conspersam cum melle
inferes.

Roasted meat:  The meat is roasted plain in the oven, sprinkled generously
with salt.  Serve with honey.

This is civilian fare.  The diet of the legions was primarily bread, cooked
grain, pulses, vegetables as available and watered wine or vinegar.  Meat
was rarely eaten and was probably purchased outside the regular ration or
looted from an enemy.

Bear