SC - Re: Can Someone Explain This?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 5 07:48:05 PST 1999

Greetings.  Someone (Adamantius?) wrote:

>I interpret the basic instruction in the same way: you attach a
>bowl to the the end of the peel, presumably at the handle end, or
>perhaps you use an old, worn-out peel with the blade end cut off, and
>fill the shells without removing them from the oven.

The idea of fastening the bowl to the handle was suggested by several
others.  I would argue that the bowl was fastened to the "shovel" end,
the wide blade.  Medieval ovens weren't as cramped as ours.  Nor were
all of the coffins as small as our pies are.  Affixing a wooden or
metal bowl to the broad blade would allow a greater amount of liquid to
be poured into the shell, filling the shell more quickly, and thus
losing less heat from the open oven.  I would posit ooh! good fancy
word!) that there were more intact peels around than plain handles.
And, if a plain handle were wanted, why wouldn't someone just say to
attach the bowl to a stick or handle, rather than affixing it to the
broader peel blade?

Humphf!  Now I'm humming "I gotta peel, you gotta peel, all God's
chilluns got peels; When I get to oven gonna put in my peel, gonna pour
all over the coffyn, coffyn, coffyn..."

Alys Katharine, overdosing on homemade eggnog again