SC - Re: Eat well, well to do?

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Sun Jan 10 09:52:40 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>The most effective form of lie is one which is technically true ;  )... .
>
>Certainly it was true under the first Norman kings of England that most
>of the forests of England were relegated to being the King's personal
>hunting  preserve, so no one outside of royal hunting parties could
>legally hunt in, say, for a common example, Sherwood Forest in
>Yorkshire. (It is in Yorkshire, isn't it?)

errr... no it's in Nottinghamshire - although in some of the RH tales he's in
Barnsdale which I believe might be in Yorkshire.  At one point the boundary of
Nottinghamshire was about 10 - 15 miles south of the Yorkshire though (in 11th
century modern depictions on England).  Now it's a little more southerly.

, without the proper
>permission. Ever see those Robin Hood movies where people are charged
>with poaching the King's Deer?
>
>Whether or not this policy was ever repealed, or if it just stopped
>being enforced, or even if it is still in effect, I don't know. Haven't
>British deer been hunted more or less to extinction anyway?

Yes. But venison is available from butchers but its expretemy expensive.

>Then, of course, there were, and as far as I know, more recently
>observed, laws, or at least traditions about certain fish being the
>prerogative of the Crown, so if you caught one you could either deliver
>it to the nearest royal household, or throw it back, presumably still
>alive. Sturgeon was one such, I believe, but there were others.

>I wonder if there's been some confusion between these two
>traditions...or maybe they were havin' you on.

I think they were, or were shooting from the hip and showing off.

Elysant