SC - Period Chili

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Jan 12 21:06:24 PST 1999

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:20:20 -0600 "maddie teller-kook" <meadhbh at io.com>
writes:
>I'd love to see the documentation on this.  Sad that there aren't any
>documentable recipes... could it be the plants were grown for ornament
>instead of food?  curious.
>
>meadhbh

They were actually brought back first by Columbus' ship's doctor, and
were noted for medicinal qualities (increased blood circulation, raised
blood pressure, salivation, anti-parasitical, etc.).  There are entries
from Columbus' ships' logs regarding the amounts that could be shipped
back ("On this island alone [Haiti], 50 caravels of this article could be
loaded every year.")  After that, there are no entries regarding the
pepper in Italian manuscripts until 1781.  More about this comes from a
little volume called "Columbus Menu - Italian Cuisine after the Voyage of
Christopher Columbus" by Stefano Milioni,  put out by the Italian Trade
Commission in 1992, the 500th anniversary of the original voyage.
Mistress Christianna MacGrain